Electric and magnetic fields are produced by any wiring or equipment carrying electric current.
Common sources of electromagnetic fields (EMF) include power lines, household electrical wiring and appliances, motor-driven instruments, computer screens, telecommunications and broadcasting antennae, and mobile phones.
Wellington Electricity is committed to meeting our responsibilities to our employees and the community in managing EMF safely – by complying with all regulated requirements of relevant independent authorities.
We design and operate our facilities within current health guidelines (as established by New Zealand and international health authorities) and keep a close watch on scientific and policy developments regarding electromagnetic fields.
In all aspects, we remain committed to acting in the best interests of the communities we serve.
Find out more about EMF
- Visit the Ministry of Health’s Office of Radiation Safety website
- Read the Ministry of Health's report on Electric and Magnetic Fields and Your Health
- Visit the World Health Organisation's website
- Visit the US National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences website
- Visit the International Commission for Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP)’s website
- Read the ICNIRP’s Guidelines for Limiting Exposure to Time-Varying Electric, Magnetic and Electromagnetic Fields