Getting Connected

New connections

If you are building a new residence or commercial premises and there are already low voltage lines or cable running past the boundary, connection will generally present no complications.

Your electrician will be able to arrange the connection with us, and all you will need to do is advise them of your preferred electricity retailer.

However, if there is no existing available point of connection (a utility pole, pillar or pit) on your property boundary we will need to carry out a small network extension. In this case please contact one of the Wellington Electricity accredited contractors listed below. A Capital Contribution to the value of the work is usually needed as a condition of approval which our contractor will advise you of.

Accredited Wellington Electricity Contractors for small network extensions:

Downer Power & Gas

Tel 0800 339 977 option 1                 




Connetics Limited

Tel 04 570 5710                                 


If you have any enquiries about this process, please see the links below or contact us on 0800 248-148.

Where there is no existing low voltage network, or where the new load is significant compared to the capacity of the existing lines, then other issues arise. Additionally, connection of multi-residential, large commercial or industrial installations usually requires detailed technical and commercial consideration. In these cases Wellington Electricity will assess and deal with your enquiry – please contact us on 0800 248-148 and select option 5.

Related Documents

Underground Connections up to 100A
278 KB  |  pdf  |  Download
Getting Connected Flow Diagram
83 KB  |  pdf  |  Download

How helpful was this page?

You have not rated this page yet

Thanks, your feedback has been successfully submitted

To help improve our service, what feedback can you give us about this page?

No thanks, I'll skip

In an emergency please contact our 24 hour Electricity Emergency Line

0800 248 148

For all other matters, please view our contact details here or call your electricity retailer