See what's planned and check the status of the project here
⚠️ Following a delay due to COVID-19 Alert Level 4, work recommenced on 2 September 2021.
Find out what's happening on your street using our interactive route map below, or see the latest news below this.
Email us to subscribe for update notifications. Your email details will only be used to send you information about the project and won't be shared with any other party. Once the work finishes, your email details will be deleted.
15 October 2021: Cuba Street/State Highway 1 night works completion delayed until Tuesday 19 October due to adverse weather conditions.
28 September 2021: Added dates (3 October to 15 October) for Cuba Street/State Highway 1 (north) works.
24 September 2021: Updated Tory and Frederick Streets (affected from 29 September until late October 2021).
1 September 2021: Several minor updates made, but the main change is that work is to recommence on 2 September, following a delay caused by COVID-19 Alert Level 4. This will begin at the following locations:
- Haining Street
- Cuba Street between Abel Smith Street and SH 1 (including part of Abel Smith Street) – specifically, the area shown below:
21 July 2021: Several map updates made:
- Thompson Street (Section 2 excavations complete).
- Section 3 – initial Abel Smith Street excavations complete. Timeline extended until August 2021 (for overall section).
- Taranaki Street works extended by approximately one week until 26 July 2021.
- Haining Street works commencing this week.
- Joint Bay works have been delayed due to unforeseen circumstances – dates TBC.
16 July 2021: Updated map with confirmed dates for Nairn Street.
5 July 2021: Several map updates made:
- Updated proposed work date for Section 1 (Nairn Street). This will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
- Updated proposed work dates for Cuba Street between Abel Smith Street and SH 1 (Karo Drive). Work commences this month and will continue until August 2021.
- Added further detail around upcoming works at the Taranaki Street intersection between Wigan Street and Haining Street.
24 June 2021: Updated map with more detailed information for the Taranaki Street span.
8 June 2021: *MAJOR UPDATE* Initial works have been delayed until the end of July 2021. This affects the following roads:
- Thompson Street (until mid-July)
- Abel Smith Street (until the end of July)
- Cuba Street between Abel Smith Street and SH 1 (Karo Drive) (from late June until the end of July)
- Taranaki Street between Abel Smith Street and Haining Street (from late June until the end of July).
Further details and dates for other impacted streets will be provided soon. Thank you for your continued patience.
10 May 2021: Updated map with information for Cuba Street (north section) and Taranaki Street.
7 May 2021: Updated map with Thompson Street work site photograph. Also revised Abel Smith Street start date.
30 April 2021: Updated map with status update for Thompson Street. Also added more detailed information for Abel Smith Street and its side streets.
20 April 2021: Updated map with more detailed information around Thompson Street. Also revised start date for Sections 3 & 4.